- Curriculum Vitae
1997, Diploma, Liceo Classico “Omero”, Milan
2003, Medical Degree, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan
2004, Italian Board of Physicians, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan
2007-2008, Visiting Post-Doctoral Fellow, Memory and Aging Center, Department of Neurology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
2008, Residency in Neurology, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan
2012, PhD in Experimental Neurology, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan
2013-ongoing, Researcher, Neuroimaging Research Unit, Institute of Experimental Neurology, Division of Neuroscience, Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
- AWARDS AND HONORS
First prize 2007 European Charcot Foundation, Young Investigators Awards For Multiple Sclerosis Research. Fiuggi, Italy, 1 December 2007.
February 2010: Dr. Agosta has been selected as young researcher participant for the 60th Interdisciplinary Meeting of Nobel Laureates from June 27 to July 2, 2010, at Lindau (Germany).
HBM 2010 Trainee Abstract Travel Awardees.
September 2010: Investigator Awards 2010 Neuroimaging & sonology at the 14th Congress of the European Federation of Neurological Societies.
October 2010: Best Poster Presentation Award at the XLI Congress of the Italian Neurological Society.
September 2011: Investigator Awards 2011 Neuroimaging & sonology and Dementia & cognitive neurology at the 15th Congress of the European Federation of Neurological Societies.
September 2012: Investigator Awards 2012 Neuroimaging & sonology at the 16th Congress of the European Federation of Neurological Societies.
March 2013: Junior Faculty Awards for AD/PD 2013
October 2013: Best Poster Presentation Award at the Congresso Congiunto LIMPE/DISMOV-SIN
- FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Dr. Agosta is recipient (Principal Investigator) of the following research grants:
Bando AriSLA 2013 “The utility of machine learning in the identification of ALS and other motor neuron diseases”.
Bando Progetti di Ricerca Giovani Ricercatori 2011, Ministero della Salute: GR-2011-02351217 “Multimodal magnetic resonance imaging diagnosi of frontotemporal lobar degenration (FTLD): using supervised machine learning techniques to classify individual FTLD and Alzheimer’s disease patients”.
Bando Progetti di Ricerca Giovani Ricercatori 2010, Ministero della Salute: GR-2010-2303035 “The topological organization of anatomical and functional cortical brain networks in patients with the behavioral variant of frontotemporal dementia and primary progressive aphasia”.
Bando Progetti di Ricerca Giovani Ricercatori 2009, Ministero della Salute: GR-2009-1577482 “The morphological and microstructural MRI correlates of motor, cognitive and neurobehavioral impairment in Parkinson disease”.
- PUBLICATION RECORD
Dr. Agosta is author or co-author of more than 130 papers published on peer-reviewed journals (H Index 42 Google Scholar)
Current research activities of our Unit are aimed to:
- Identify the structural and functional MR markers for the early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease, and characterize the relationship between grey matter damage, white matter degeneration, and functional changes in this disease.
- Characterize the structural and functional substrates of cognitive and behavioural impairment in the frontotemporal lobar degeneration spectrum of disorders, including the behavioural variant frontotemporal dementia and primary progressive aphasia.
- Characterize the mechanisms responsible for the accumulation of disability in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and its variants, and to investigate the association between cognitive functions and extra-motor brain damage in these patients.
- Map in vivo the patterns of brain grey and white matter damage in patients at different stages of Parkinson’s disease and atypical parkinsonisms, and identify the structural and functional MR substrates of motor and non-motor symptoms in these patients.
- Agosta F, Vossel KA, Miller BL, Migliaccio R, Bonasera SJ, Filippi M, Boxer AL, Karydas A, Possin KL, Gorno-Tempini ML. Apolipoprotein E e4 is associated with disease-specific effects on brain atrophy in Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009;106:2018-2022.
- Agosta F, Henry RG, Migliaccio R, Neuhaus J, Miller BL, Dronkers NF, Brambati SM, Filippi M, Ogar JM, Wilson SM, Gorno-Tempini ML. Language networks in semantic dementia. Brain 2010;133:286-299.
- Agosta F, Pievani M, Sala S, Geroldi C, Galluzzi S, Frisoni GB, Filippi M. White matter damage in Alzheimer disease and its relationship to gray matter atrophy. Radiology 2011;258:853-863
- Turner MR, Grosskreutz J, Kassubek J, Abrahams S, Agosta F, Benatar M, Filippi M, Goldstein LH, van den Heuvel M, Kalra S, Lulé D, Mohammadi B, and other members of the 1st Neuroimaging Symposium in ALS (NISALS). Towards a neuroimaging biomarker for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Lancet Neurol 2011; 10: 400-403.
- Agosta F, Canu E, Sarro L, Comi G, Filippi M. Neuroimaging findings in frontotemporal lobar degeneration spectrum of disorders. Cortex 2012; 48: 389-413
- Agosta F, Pievani M, Geroldi C, Copetti M, Frisoni GB, Filippi M. Resting state fMRI in Alzheimer’s disease: beyond the default mode network. Neurobiol Aging 2012; 33: 1564-1578
- Agosta F, Scola E, Canu E, Marcone A, Magnani G, Sarro L, Copetti M, Caso F, Cerami C, Comi G, Cappa SF, Falini A, Filippi M. White matter damage in frontotemporal lobar degeneration spectrum. Cer Cor 2012; 22: 2705-2714
- Agosta F, Kostic VS, Davidovic K, Kresojevic N, Sarro L, Svetel M, Stankovic I, Comi G, Klein C, Filippi M. White matter abnormalities in Parkinson’s disease patients with glucocerebrosidase gene mutations. Mov Dis 2013; 28: 772-778
- Agosta F, Canu E, Stojkovic T, Pievani M, Tomic A, Sarro L, Dragaševic N, Copetti M, Comi G, Kostic VS, Filippi M. The topography of brain damage at different stages of Parkinson’s disease. Hum Brain Mapp 2013 34(11):2798-807
- Agosta F, Sala S, Valsasina P, Meani A, Canu E, Magnani G, Cappa SF, Scola E, Quatto P, Horsfield MA, Falini A, Comi G, Filippi M. Brain network connectivity assessed using graph theory in frontotemporal dementia. Neurology 2013;81:134–143
- Agosta F, Caso F, Stankovic I, Inuggi A, Petrovic I, Svetel M, Kostic VS, Filippi M. Cortico-striatal-thalamic network functional connectivity in hemiparkinsonism. Neurobiol Aging 2014; 35: 2592-2602
- Agosta F, Al-Chalabi A, Filippi M, Hardiman O, Kaji R, Meininger V, Nakano I, Shaw P, Shefner J, van den Berg LH, Ludolph A; The WFN Research Group on ALS/MND. The El Escorial criteria: Strengths and weaknesses. Amyotroph Lat Scl Fr 2015; 16: 1-7
- Agosta F, Galantucci S, Magnani G, Marcone A, Martinelli D, Volonté MA, Riva N, Iannaccone S, Ferraro PM, Caso F, Chiò A, Comi G, Falini A, Filippi M. MRI signatures of the frontotemporal lobar degeneration continuum. Hum Brain Mapp 2015 (in press) [Epub ahead of print 29 March 2015; doi: 10.1002/hbm.22794]
- Caso F, Agosta F, Mattavelli D, Migliaccio R, Canu E, Magnani G, Marcone A, Copetti M, Falautano M, Comi G, Falini A, Filippi M. White matter degeneration in atypical Alzheimer’s disease. Radiology 2015 (in press) [Epub ahead of print 27 May 2015; doi: 10.1148/radiol.2015142766]
- Agosta F, Weiler M, Filippi M. Propagation of pathology through brain networks in neurodegenerative diseases: from molecules to clinical phenotypes. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics 2015 (in press) [Epub ahead of print 1 June 2015; doi: 10.1111/cns.12410]