Director of the Cell Biology Unit – IRCCS AOU San Martino – IST National Cancer Research Institute, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genova;
Endowed with an appointment ruled by an agreement (“Convenzione”) between the San Raffaele Hospital and IRCCS AOU San Martino – IST
1981 (July): M.D. (with honour), University of Genova, Italy.
1984: Specialization Degree in Experimental and Clinical Hematology, University of Genova, Italy (50/50).
- Research and Professional Experience:
1979 Student at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York (USA) (supervisor: Dr. U. Hammerling).
1983-87 Research Fellow and then Assistant Professor at the National Cancer Research Institute of Genova (IST), Clinical Immunology Unit.
1987-99 Assistant Professor, and then Vice-Director, Clinical Pathology Unit, IST , Genova
1999-2003 Group Leader of the Protein Biology Unit, IST, Genova, Italy.
2003-to date: Director of the Cell Biology Unit, IST (from 2011: IRCCS AOU San Martino – IST), Genova, Italy.
Research topics include:
1. inflammation and redox: role of redox remodelling in the development and outcome of different inflammatoryprocesses;
2. characterization of the mechanism of secretion of interleukin- 1ß by monocytes in health and autoinflammatory/autoimmune diseases.
3.inflammation and cancer, role of redox and DAMPs of the microenvironment on tumor progression.
1998-1999: Professor of Cellular Immunobiology at the University of Genoa, Medical School.
1988-to date: Supervisor of Master Theses at the Biological Science Faculty, University of Genoa
1999, 2002, 2004, 2009: Member of jury of Doctoral Degree (PhD) theses in France (Centre d’Immunologie de Marseille-Luminy, University of Montpellier, University of Toulouse) and Sweeden (Karolinska Institute, Stockholm)
2011-to date: Professor of Cell & Molecular Biology, International MD program, Università Vita-Salute San Raffaele, School of Medicine & Surgery
Since 1990, she obtained grants as PI from several governative and private agencies, including Ministero della Salute, AIRC, CNR, MIUR, CNR/INSERM, Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Telethon e Compagnia San Paolo.
From 2014, she is in possess of a grant from Telethon on: “Cryopyrin associated periodic syndromes (CAPS): investigations on patients blood cells and in a knock-in mouse model to exploit novel approaches for the modulation of the NLRP3 inflammasome” (duration: 3 years) and of a IG grant from AIRC on “Targeting inflammation and redox response to prevent tumor onset and progression: mechanisms and preclinical studies” (duration: 3 years)
Dr. Rubartelli has participated as invited speaker, chairwoman or organizer to many international scientific meetings and workshops. She is part of the scientific board of the “Interleukin-1beta Foundation”, and of the board of referees of the major international Scientific Journals and of several Italian and foreign Funding Agencies. She is Associate Editor of “Frontiers of Inflammation” and of the “European Journal of Immunology”.
- Scientific production
Dr. Rubartelli is author of numerous scientific articles on high ranked international Journals, and of several articles on Books. Her H index is 49; her articles have more than 10900 citations (source: Google Scholar)
- Lavieri R, Piccioli P, Carta S, Delfino L, Castellani P, Rubartelli A. TLR Costimulation Causes Oxidative Stress with Unbalance of Proinflammatory and Anti-Inflammatory Cytokine Production. J Immunol. 2014 Jun 1;192(11):5373-81.
- Rubartelli A. DAMP-Mediated Activation of NLRP3-Inflammasome in Brain Sterile Inflammation: The Fine Line between Healing and Neurodegeneration. Front Immunol. 2014 Mar 17;5:99.
- Bulau AM, Nold MF, Li S, Nold-Petry CA, Fink M, Mansell A, Schwerd T, Hong J, Rubartelli A, Dinarello CA, Bufler P. Role of caspase-1 in nuclear translocation of IL-37, release of the cytokine, and IL-37 inhibition of innate immune responses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Feb 18;111(7):2650-5.
- Rubartelli A. Autoinflammatory diseases. Immunol Lett. 2014 Jan 19. pii:S0165-2478(13)00227-7.
- Rubartelli A, Lotze MT, Latz E, Manfredi A. Mechanisms of sterile inflammation. Front Immunol. 2013 Nov 22;4:398.
- Piccioli P, Rubartelli A. The secretion of IL-1β and options for release. Semin Immunol. 2013 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Carta S, Lavieri R, Rubartelli A. Different Members of the IL-1 Family Come Out in Different Ways: DAMPs vs. Cytokines? Front Immunol. 2013;4:123.
- Omenetti A, Carta S, Delfino L, Martini A, Gattorno M, Rubartelli A. Increased NLRP3-dependent Interleukin 1b secretion in patients with familial Mediterranean fever: correlation with MEFV genotype. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013 Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Castellani P, Balza E, Rubartelli A. Inflammation, DAMPs, Tumor Development, and Progression: A Vicious Circle Orchestrated by Redox Signaling. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013 Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Balza E, Castellani P, Delfino L, Truini M, Rubartelli A. The pharmacologic inhibition of the xc- anti-oxidant system improves the anti-tumor efficacy of COX inhibitors in the in vivo model of 3-MCA tumorigenesis Carcinogenesis 2013 Mar;34(3):620-6.
- Rubartelli A. Redox control of NLRP3 inflammasome activation in health and disease. J Leukoc Biol. 2012 Nov;92(5):951-8
- Carta S, Tassi S, Delfino L, Omenetti A, Raffa S, Torrisi MR, Martini A, Gattorno M,Rubartelli A. Deficient production of IL-1 receptor antagonist and IL-6 coupled to oxidative stress in cryopyrin-associated periodic syndrome monocytes. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012 Sep;71(9):1577-81.
- Bertolotti M, Sitia R, Rubartelli A. On the redox control of B lymphocytedifferentiation and function. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2012 May 15;16(10):1139-49.
- Gattorno M, Rubartelli A Mechanisms of NLRP3 Inflammasome Activation in CAPS Patients. In: ” The Inflammasomes ” Couillin I, Pétrilli V, Martinon F (Eds.) 2011 Springer Basel
- Rubartelli A, Gattorno M, Netea MG, Dinarello CA. Interplay between redox status and inflammasome activation. Trends Immunol. 2011 Dec;32(12):559-66.
- Lucibello M, Gambacurta A, Zonfrillo M, Pierimarchi P, Serafino A, Rasi G, Rubartelli A, Garaci E. TCTP is a critical survival factor that protects cancer cells from oxidative stress-induced cell-death. Exp Cell Res. 2011 Oct 15;317(17):2479-89.
- Carta S, Tassi S, Pettinati I, Delfino L, Dinarello CA, Rubartelli A. The rate of interleukin-1beta secretion in different myeloid cells varies with the extent of redox response to Toll-like receptor triggering. J Biol Chem. 2011 Aug 5;286(31):27069-80. 18. Venè R, Castellani P, Delfino L, Lucibello M, Ciriolo MR, Rubartelli A. The cystine/cysteine cycle and GSH are independent and crucial antioxidant systems in malignant melanoma cells and represent druggable targets. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011 Nov 1;15(9):2439-53.
- Borghini S, Tassi S, Chiesa S, Caroli F, Carta S, Caorsi R, Fiore M, Delfino L, Lasigliè D, Ferraris C, Traggiai E, Di Duca M, Santamaria G, D’Osualdo A, Tosc M, Martini A, Ceccherini I, Rubartelli A, Gattorno M. Clinical presentation and pathogenesis of cold-induced autoinflammatory disease in a family with recurrence of an NLRP12 mutation.Arthritis Rheum. 2011 Mar;63(3):830-9.
- Vezzoli M, Castellani P, Corna G, Castiglioni A, Bosurgi L, Monno A, Brunelli S,Manfredi AA, Rubartelli A, Rovere-Querini P. High-mobility group box 1 release and redox regulation accompany regeneration and remodeling of skeletal muscle. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011 Oct 15;15(8):2161-74.
- Vezzoli M, Castellani P, Campana L, Corna G, Bosurgi L, Manfredi AA, Bianchi ME, Rubartelli A, Rovere-Querini P. Redox remodeling: a candidate regulator of HMGB1 function in injured skeletal muscle. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010 Oct;1209(1):83-90.
- Dinarello C, Arend W, Sims J, Smith D, Blumberg H, O’Neill L, Goldbach-Mansky R, Pizarro T, Hoffman H, Bufler P, Nold M, Ghezzi P, Mantovani A, Garlanda C, Boraschi D, Rubartelli A, Netea M, van der Meer J, Joosten L, Mandrup-Poulsen T, Donath M, Lewis E, Pfeilschifter J, Martin M, Kracht M, Muehl H, Novick D, Lukic M, Conti B, Solinger A, Peyman K, van de Veerdonk F, Gabel C. IL-1 family nomenclature. Nat Immunol. 2010 Nov;11(11):973.
- Bertolotti M, Yim SH, Garcia-Manteiga JM, Masciarelli S, Kim YJ, Kang MH,Iuchi Y,Fujii J, Venè R, Rubartelli A, Rhee SG, Sitia R. B- to plasma-cell terminal differentiation entails oxidative stress and profound reshaping of the antioxidant responses. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2010 Oct;13(8):1133-44.
- Tassi S, Carta S, Delfino L, Caorsi R, Martini A, Gattorno M, Rubartelli A.Altered redox state of monocytes from cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes causes accelerated IL-1beta secretion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 May25;107(21):9789-94.
- Venè R, Delfino L, Castellani P, Balza E, Bertolotti M, Sitia R, Rubartelli A. Redox remodeling allows and controls B-cell activation and differentiation. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2010 Oct;13(8):1145-55.
- Lotfi R, Herzog GI, DeMarco RA, Beer-Stolz D, Lee JJ, Rubartelli A, Schrezenmeier H, Lotze MT. Eosinophils oxidize damage-associated molecular pattern molecules derived from stressed cells. J Immunol. 2009 Oct 15;183(8):5023-31.
- Rubartelli A, Sitia R. Chemo-metabolic regulation of immune responses by Tregs. Nat Chem Biol. 2009 Oct;5(10):709-10.
- Carta S, Castellani P, Delfino L, Tassi S, Venè R, Rubartelli A. DAMPs and inflammatory processes: the role of redox in the different outcomes. J Leukoc Biol. 2009 Sep;86(3):549-55.
- Tassi S, Carta S, Venè R, Delfino L, Ciriolo MR, Rubartelli A. Pathogen-induced interleukin-1beta processing and secretion is regulated by a biphasic redox response. J Immunol. 2009 Jul 15;183(2):1456-62.
- Rubartelli A, Sitia R. Stress as an intercellular signal: the emergence of stressassociated molecular patterns (SAMP). Antioxid Redox Signal. 2009 Oct;11(10):2621-9.
- Netea MG, Nold-Petry CA, Nold MF, Joosten LA, Opitz B, van der Meer JH, van de Veerdonk FL, Ferwerda G, Heinhuis B, Devesa I, Funk CJ, Mason RJ, Kullberg BJ, Rubartelli A, van der Meer JW, Dinarello CA. Differential requirement for theactivation of the inflammasome for processing and release of IL-1beta in monocytes and macrophages. Blood. 2009 Mar 5;113(10):2324-35.