Absinta Martina RicercatoreMedicina
A subset of people with multiple sclerosis experience neurodegenerative processes leading to progressive accumulation of motor and cognitive disability, especially after the fifth decade, unrelated to the occurrence of new clinical relapses and unresponsive to the currently available treatments. Clinical progression in multiple sclerosis is likely the complex result of the accumulation of neuro-axonal loss in a lifelong inflammatory and compartmentalized central nervous system environment and the relative un-balance among injury, attempt to repair and individual functional reserve in the context of an aging brain (Absinta et al., Curr Opin Neurol 2020).
I think that the pathobiological understanding and radiological visualization of chronic inflammation in multiple sclerosis can lead towards new classes of treatment (i.e., targeting the glial response), and novel-designed MRI-based clinical trials with the aim at limiting chronic inflammation and, potentially, progression. For these reasons, my research activity focuses on to disentangle this complexity using a variety of research instruments, spanning from in vivo to postmortem MRI-neuropathology correlations, including single cell RNA-seq and spatial transcriptomics, to in vitro cellular modeling using human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived 3D cell cultures (BrainSpheres).
2000-2006 Medicine and Surgery, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
2007-2012 Residency in Neurology, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
2013-2016 International PhD in Molecular Medicine-Experimental Neurology, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
2012-2016 Visiting research fellow, Translational Neuroradiology Unit, NINDS, NIH, Bethesda, USA
2016-2019 Research fellowship, Translational Neuroradiology Section, NINDS, NIH, Bethesda, USA
2019-2020 Assistant Professor of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
2021- Adjunct Professor of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
2020- Research associate, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
2021- Neurologist, Research associate, IRCSS San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
Editorial board member of Neurology Clinical Practice (2022) and Guest Editor for NeuroImage Clinical (2021)
02/2016-01/2019 National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS) #FG 2093-A-1
07/2017-06/2023 Conrad N. Hilton Foundation - Bridging Award for Physician-Scientists #17313
07/2020-01/2023 Roche Foundation (Bando Roche per la Ricerca 2019)
11/2020-10/2023 Cariplo Foundation #2019-1677
07/2021-07/2023 International Progressive Multiple Sclerosis Alliance PA-2107-38081
06/2021-06/2024 Fondazione Regionale Ricerca Biomedica (FRRB) Early Career Award #1750327
2009 Award for best poster - Italian Society of Neurology
2016 Award for best paper with impact factor between 10 and 20 - Italian Society of Neurology
2018 NIH Fellow Award for Research Excellence competition, Bethesda, USA
2021 Rita-Levi Montalcini Prize 2021 – Italian MS Society (FISM/AISM)
2022 Young Physician-Scientist 2022 Award - The American Society for Clinical Investigation
- Absinta M, Maric D, Gharagozloo M, Garton T, Smith MD, Jin J, Fitzgerald KC, Song A, Liu P, Lin JP, Wu T, Johnson KR, McGavern DB, Schafer DP, Calabresi PA, Reich DS. A lymphocyte-microglia-astrocyte axis in chronic active multiple sclerosis. Nature. 2021 Sep 8. doi: 10.1038/s41586-021-03892-7.
- Maggi, P., P. Sati, G. Nair, I.C.M. Cortese, S. Jacobson, B.R. Smith, A. Nath, J. Ohayon, V. van Pesch, G. Perrotta, C. Pot, M. Theaudin, V. Martinelli, R. Scotti, T. Wu, R. Du Pasquier, P.A. Calabresi, M. Filippi, D.S. Reich, and Absinta M. Paramagnetic Rim Lesions are Specific to Multiple Sclerosis: An International Multicenter 3T MRI Study. Annals of Neurolology, 2020.
- Absinta, M., H. Lassmann, and B.D. Trapp, Mechanisms underlying progression in multiple sclerosis. Curr Opin Neurol, 2020. 33(3): p. 277-285.
- Maggi P, Kuhle J, Schädelin S, van der Meer F, Weigel M, Galbusera R, Mathias A, Lu PJ, Rahmanzadeh R, Benkert P, La Rosa F, Bach Cuadra M, Sati P, Théaudin M, Pot C, van Pesch V, Leppert D, Stadelmann C, Kappos L, Du Pasquier R, Reich DS, Absinta M*, Granziera C* (co-last authors). Chronic White Matter Inflammation and Serum Neurofilament Levels in Multiple Sclerosis. Neurology. 2021 Aug 10;97(6):e543-e553.
- Absinta, M., P. Sati, F. Masuzzo, G. Nair, V. Sethi, H. Kolb, J. Ohayon, T. Wu, I.C.M. Cortese, and D.S. Reich, Association of Chronic Active Multiple Sclerosis Lesions With Disability In Vivo. JAMA Neurology, 2019. 76(12): p. 1474-1483.
- Absinta, M., S.K. Ha, G. Nair, P. Sati, N.J. Luciano, M. Palisoc, A. Louveau, K.A. Zaghloul, S. Pittaluga, J. Kipnis, and D.S. Reich, Human and nonhuman primate meninges harbor lymphatic vessels that can be visualized noninvasively by MRI. Elife, 2017. 6.
- Absinta, M., P. Sati, M. Schindler, E.C. Leibovitch, J. Ohayon, T. Wu, A. Meani, M. Filippi, S. Jacobson, I.C. Cortese, and D.S. Reich, Persistent 7-tesla phase rim predicts poor outcome in new multiple sclerosis patient lesions. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2016. 126(7): p. 2597-609.
- Absinta, M., P. Sati, and D.S. Reich, Advanced MRI and staging of multiple sclerosis lesions. Nature Review Neurology, 2016. 12(6): p. 358-68.
- Absinta, M., L. Vuolo, A. Rao, G. Nair, P. Sati, I.C. Cortese, J. Ohayon, K. Fenton, M.I. Reyes-Mantilla, D. Maric, P.A. Calabresi, J.A. Butman, C.A. Pardo, and D.S. Reich, Gadolinium-based MRI characterization of leptomeningeal inflammation in multiple sclerosis. Neurology, 2015. 85(1): p. 18-28.
- Absinta, M., G. Nair, M. Filippi, A. Ray-Chaudhury, M.I. Reyes-Mantilla, C.A. Pardo, and D.S. Reich, Postmortem magnetic resonance imaging to guide the pathologic cut: individualized, 3-dimensionally printed cutting boxes for fixed brains. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol, 2014. 73(8): p. 780-8.
- Absinta, M., P. Sati, M.I. Gaitan, P. Maggi, I.C. Cortese, M. Filippi, and D.S. Reich, Seven-tesla phase imaging of acute multiple sclerosis lesions: a new window into the inflammatory process. Annals of Neurology, 2013. 74(5): p. 669-78.
For full bibliography:
Il titolare del presente curriculum vitae, pubblicato online sul portale www.unisr.it, è garante in via esclusiva della correttezza e della veridicità dei dati e delle informazioni in esso riportate e del loro eventuale e puntuale aggiornamento. Egli è dunque il diretto ed unico responsabile dei contenuti indicati nei propri curricula.