Gagliardi Filippo RicercatoreMedicina
Central nervous system tumors represent relatively rare pathological entities, but burdened by an extremely severe disease-related morbidity and mortality. Among them, glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) is the most malignant, being associated with the worst prognosis.
GBM cells share with other malignant tumors the migratory capability, mainly through infiltration and invasion of surrounding brain parenchyma; this feature limits the curative potential of surgical resection and critically jeopardizes efficacy of currently available adjuvant oncologic treatments. Despite the advancements made worldwide in the treatment of this disease, prognosis still remains extremely poor.
The understanding of specific molecular mechanisms underlying GBM biological aggressiveness is of strategical relevance to conceive and develop new therapeutic strategies able to relevantly affect patients’ life expectancy and quality of life.
The Neurosurgery Department of San Raffaele Hospital is a reference center for neuroncological surgery and thanks to the Institutional Biobank (Centro Risorse Biologiche) has great availability of biological material for clinical and preclinical research. Our group has as main focus the characterization of molecular pathways and immune system response modulation, underlying biological mechanism, which intervene in central nervous system tumors invasiveness and therapeutic refractoriness. Deepening insights on this topic will lead to the identification of putative markers for tumor aggressiveness and disease activity, as well as potential targets for new therapeutic approaches.
Formation. Graduated with honors at the Medical School of the University of Verona (2006); qualified as Physician at the University of Bologna (2006); specialized with honors in Neurosurgery at the Vita-Salute San Raffaele University of Milan (2013). He passed the European exam in Neurosurgery at the "European Association of Neurosurgical Societies" (2011). Currently, as neurosurgeon, he is a permanent member of the Staff at the Department of Neurosurgery of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan, where he deals with degenerative and traumatic pathologies of the spine, tumors and vascular diseases of the central nervous system and stereotactic radiosurgery.
Research. He holds the title of PhD in Neuroscience at the International Doctorate School in Molecular Medicine of the Vita-Salute University, San Raffaele Scientific Institute in Milan, where he deals with research on stem cells in brain tumors. He obtained the national scientific qualification as associate professor in Neurosurgery (2017). He is currently responsible for more than 10 international and national research projects, admitted for funding by public and private entities.
Winner of the international award "Karl Storz" (2012). He was "Research fellow" at the Department of Neurosurgery of the Ludwig Maximilian University (Munich, Germany) and at the Department of Neurosurgery of the George Washington University (Washington DC, USA), with which he currently continues to collaborate on numerous projects of research and also periodic training internships on site.
Teaching activity. He has been invited as a member of the scientific committee in numerous international courses and meetings in Europe, the United States and Australia. He has more than 100 active participations in symposia as author/speaker or co-author of congress abstracts.
Publications. He is the author of more than 90 scientific publications in international journals, more than 30 chapters of Neurosurgery textbooks, published by international publishing houses and on-line journals. H-index 17 (Scopus) with almost 2000 citations. He has held, by invitation, conferences and seminars at Italian and foreign universities, including Macquarie University (Sydney, NSW, Australia) and George Washington University (Washington DC, USA). In 2019 he published a book entitled "Operative cranial neurosurgical anatomy" distributed worldwide by an American publishing house.
Fields of clinical interest. Cranial and spinal neuro-oncology, vascular pathology, hydrocephalus and cranial and spinal malformative pathology, degenerative and traumatic spinal pathology.
- Gagliardi F, De Domenico P, Snider S, Pompeo E, Roncelli F, Barzaghi LR, Bailo M, Piloni M, Spina A, Fodor A, Berzero G, Di Muzio N, Filippi M, Finocchiaro G, Mortini P. Gamma Knife radiosurgery as primary treatment of low-grade brainstem gliomas: A systematic review and metanalysis of current evidence and predictive factors. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2021 Dec;168:103508. doi: 10.1016/j.critrevonc.2021.103508. Epub 2021 Oct 19.
- Capitanio JF, Donofrio CA, Panni P, Barzaghi LR, Bailo M, Gagliardi F, Mortini P. Microsurgical endoportal MRI/US-navigated approach for the resection of large intraventricular tumours: a 20-consecutive patients case series. Br J Neurosurg. 2021 Aug 5:1-8. doi: 10.1080/02688697.2021.1918632. Online ahead of print.
- Calimeri T, Steffanoni S, Gagliardi F, Chiara A, Ferreri AJM. How we treat primary central nervous system lymphoma. ESMO Open. 2021 Jul 13;6(4):100213. doi: 10.1016/j.esmoop.2021.100213. Online ahead of print.
- Gagliardi F, De Domenico P, Snider S, Roncelli F, Pompeo E, Barzaghi LR, Bulotta A, Gregorc V, Lazzari C, Cascinu S, Finocchiaro G, Mortini P. Role of stereotactic radiosurgery for the treatment of brain metastasis in the era of immunotherapy: A systematic review on current evidences and predicting factors. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2021 Jul 27;165:103431. doi: 10.1016/j.critrevonc.2021.103431. Online ahead of print.
- Gallotti AL, Barzaghi LR, Albano L, Medone M, Gagliardi F, Losa M, Mortini P. Comparison between extended transsphenoidal and transcranial surgery for craniopharyngioma: focus on hypothalamic function and obesity. Pituitary. 2021 Jul 8. doi: 10.1007/s11102-021-01171-2. Online ahead of print.
- Piloni M, Bailo M, Gagliardi F, Mortini P. Resection of Intracranial Tumors with a Robotic-Assisted Digital Microscope: A Preliminary Experience with Robotic Scope. World Neurosurg. 2021 Aug;152:e205-e211. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2021.05.075. Epub 2021 May 27.
- Ferreri AJM, Calimeri T, Lopedote P, Francaviglia I, Daverio R, Iacona C, Belloni C, Steffanoni S, Gulino A, Anghileri E, Diffidenti A, Finardi A, Gagliardi F, Anzalone N, Nonis A, Furlan R, De Lorenzo D, Terreni MR, Martinelli V, Sassone M, Foppoli M, Angelillo P, Guggiari E, Falini A, Mortini P, Filippi M, Tarantino V, Eoli M, Ciceri F, Doglioni C, Tripodo C, Locatelli M, Cangi MG, Ponzoni M. MYD88 L265P mutation and interleukin-10 detection in cerebrospinal fluid are highly specific discriminating markers in patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma: results from a prospective study. Br J Haematol. 2021 May;193(3):497-505. doi: 10.1111/bjh.17357. Epub 2021 Feb 23.
- Gagliardi F, Narayanan A, Gallotti AL, Pieri V, Mazzoleni S, Cominelli M, Rezzola S, Corsini M, Brugnara G, Altabella L, Politi LS, Bacigaluppi M, Falini A, Castellano A, Ronca R, Poliani PL, Mortini P, Galli R. Enhanced SPARCL1 expression in cancer stem cells improves preclinical modeling of glioblastoma by promoting both tumor infiltration and angiogenesis. Neurobiol Dis. 2020 Feb;134:104705. doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2019.104705. Epub 2019 Dec 10
- Narayanan A, Gagliardi F, Gallotti AL, Mazzoleni S, Cominelli M, Fagnocchi L, Pala M, Piras IS, Zordan P, Moretta N, Tratta E, Brugnara G, Altabella L, Bozzuto G, Gorombei P, Molinari A, Padua RA, Bulfone A, Politi LS, Falini A, Castellano A, Mortini P, Zippo A, Poliani PL, Galli R. The proneural gene ASCL1 governs the transcriptional subgroup affiliation in glioblastoma stem cells by directly repressing the mesenchymal gene NDRG1. Cell Death Differ. 2018 Dec 11. doi: 10.1038/s41418-018-0248-7
- Spina A, Boari N, Gagliardi F, Bailo M, Del Vecchio A, Bolognesi A, Mortini P. Gamma Knife radiosurgery for glomus tumors: Long-term results in a series of 30 patients. Head Neck. 2018 Dec;40(12):2677-2684. doi: 10.1002/hed.25517
- Losa M, Pieri V, Bailo M, Gagliardi F, Barzaghi LR, Gioia L, Del Vecchio A, Bolognesi A, Mortini P. Single fraction and multisession Gamma Knife radiosurgery for craniopharyngioma. Pituitary. 2018 Oct;21(5):499-506. doi: 10.1007/s11102-018-0903-5
- Gagliardi F, Bailo M, Spina A, Donofrio CA, Boari N, Franzin A, Fava A, Del Vecchio A, Bolognesi A, Mortini P. Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for Low-Grade Gliomas: Clinical Results at Long-Term Follow-Up of Tumor Control and Patients' Quality of Life. World Neurosurg. 2017 May;101:540-553. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2017.02.041
- Barzaghi LR, Spina A, Gagliardi F, Boari N, Mortini P. Transfrontal-Sinus-Subcranial Approach to Olfactory Groove Meningiomas: Surgical Results and Clinical and Functional Outcome in a Consecutive Series of 21 Patients. World Neurosurg. 2017 May;101:315-324. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2017.02.039
- Gagliardi F, Narayanan A, Mortini P. SPARCL1 a novel player in cancer biology. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2017 Jan;109:63-68. doi: 10.1016/j.critrevonc.2016.11.013
- Bailo M, Boari N, Gagliardi F, Franzin A, Piloni M, Spina A, Gemma M, Del Vecchio A, Bolognesi A, Mortini P. Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for residual and recurrent vestibular schwannomas after previous surgery: clinical results in a series of 90 patients and review of the literature. World Neurosurg. 2017 Feb;98:60-72. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2016.10.066
- Mortini P, Gagliardi F, Bailo M, Boari N, Castellano A, Falini A, Losa M. Resection of tumors of the third ventricle involving the hypothalamus: effects on body mass index using a dedicated surgical approach. Endocrine. 2017 Jul;57(1):138-147. doi: 10.1007/s12020-016-1102-7
- Bailo M, Boari N, Franzin A, Gagliardi F, Spina A, Del Vecchio AD, Gemma M, Bolognesi A, Mortini P. Gamma Knife Radiosurgery as primary treatment for large vestibular schwannomas: clinical results at long-term follow-up in a series of 59 patients. World Neurosurg. 2016 Nov;95:487-501. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2016.07.117
- Gagliardi F, Spina A, Barzaghi LR, Bailo M, Losa M, Terreni MR, Mortini P. Suprasellar granular cell tumor of the neurohypophysis: surgical outcome of a very rare tumor. Pituitary. 2016 Jun;19(3):277-85. doi: 10.1007/s11102-016-0704-7
- Boari N, Gagliardi F, Cavalli A, Gemma M, Ferrari L, Riva P, Mortini P. Skull base chordomas: clinical outcome in a consecutive series of 45 patients with long-term follow-up and evaluation of clinical and biological prognostic factors. J Neurosurg. 2016 Aug;125(2):450-60. doi: 10.3171/2015.6.JNS142370
- Mortini P, Gagliardi F, Bailo M, Spina A, Parlangeli A, Falini A, Losa M. Magnetic resonance imaging as predictor of functional outcome in craniopharyngiomas. Endocrine. 2016 Jan;51(1):148-62. doi: 10.1007/s12020-015-0683-x
- Gagliardi F, Spina A, Boari N, Narayanan A, Mortini P. Solitary lesions of the clivus: what else besides chordomas? An extensive clinical outlook on rare pathologies. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2015 Apr;157(4):597-605. doi: 10.1007/s00701-014-2340-1
- Boari N, Bailo M, Gagliardi F, Franzin A, Gemma M, del Vecchio A, Bolognesi A, Picozzi P, Mortini P. Gamma Knife radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma: clinical results at long-term follow-up in a series of 379 patients. J Neurosurg. 2014 Dec;121 Suppl:123-42. doi: 10.3171/2014.8.GKS141506
- Gagliardi F, Narayanan A, Reni M, Franzin A, Mazza E, Boari N, Bailo M, Mortini P. The role of CXCR4 in highly malignant human gliomas biology: current knowledge and future directions. Glia. 2014 Jul;62(7):1015-23. doi: 10.1002/glia.22669
- Gagliardi F, Losa M, Boari N, Spina A, Reni M, Terreni MR, Mortini P. Solitary clival plasmocytomas: Misleading clinical and radiological features of a rare pathology with a specific biological behaviour. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2013 Oct;155(10):1849-56. doi: 10.1007/s00701-013-1845-3
- Mortini P, Gagliardi F, Boari N, Losa M. Surgical strategies and modern therapeutic options in the treatment of craniopharyngiomas. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2013 Dec;88(3):514-29. doi: 10.1016/j.critrevonc.2013.07.013
- Gagliardi F, Boari N, Mortini P. Solitary nonchordomatous lesions of the clival bone: differential diagnosis and current therapeutic strategies. Neurosurg Rev. 2013 Oct;36(4):513-22; discussion 522. doi: 10.1007/s10143-013-0463-0
- Mortini P, Gagliardi F, Boari N, Roberti F, Caputy AJ. The combined interhemispheric sub-commissural translaminaterminalis approach for large craniopharyngiomas. World Neurosurg. 2013 Jul-Aug;80(1-2):160-6. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2012.06.042
- Boari N, Gagliardi F, Spina A, Bailo M, Franzin A, Mortini P. Management of Spheno-Orbital En Plaque Meningiomas: Clinical and Functional Outcome. Br J Neurosurg. 2013 Feb;27(1):84-90. doi: 10.3109/02688697.2012.709557
- Gagliardi F, Boari N, Riva P, Mortini P. Current therapeutic options and novel molecular markers in skull base chordomas. Neurosurg Rev. 2012 Jan;35(1):1-13; discussion 13-4. doi: 10.1007/s10143-011-0354-1
- Boari N, Gagliardi F, Castellazzi P, Mortini P. Surgical treatment of orbital cavernomas: clinical and functional outcome in a series of 20 patients. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2011 Mar;153(3):491-8. doi: 10.1007/s00701-010-0808-1
Il titolare del presente curriculum vitae, pubblicato online sul portale www.unisr.it, è garante in via esclusiva della correttezza e della veridicità dei dati e delle informazioni in esso riportate e del loro eventuale e puntuale aggiornamento. Egli è dunque il diretto ed unico responsabile dei contenuti indicati nei propri curricula.