Federica Pedica RicercatoreMedicina
Liver tumors include biliary and hepatocellular neoplasms, with a wide spectrum of morphological, immunophenotypical and molecular peculiarities. Hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma are the most common primary malignant neoplasms of the liver and their treatment rely mainly on surgery, although recently new medical treatments are developing. In particular in cholangiocarcinoma some targetable molecular alterations have been described and routinely searched for personalized therapy.
Indeed, cholangiocarcinoma is often resistant to chemotherapy and checkpoint inhibitors, also because it is frequently an “immune cold/excluded” tumor, with poor immune infiltration or exhausted T cells. The tumor microenvironment is characterized by desmoplastic stroma and TGF-beta pathway activation. Liver itself is an immune tolerant organ characterized by of the presence of myeloid derived suppressors cells, Kupffer cells and liver dendritic cells that limit the activation of effector CD4+ and CD8+ cells.
Our laboratory has a great interest in the understanding of the tumor immune microenvironment both in primary liver tumors and in the liver metastases, in particular colorectal and pancreatic adenocarcinoma. We are applying innovative technologies to investigate the interaction between tumor signaling pathways and tumor microenvironment, looking for innovative strategies for the treatment of these aggressive neoplasms.
Job position: since June 2013, histopathologist in the Pathology Lab (Directed by Professor Claudio Doglioni)
- Padova 2018, December 13rd-15th- AISF MASTERCLASS “La diagnosi istopatologica delle malattie epatiche non neoplastiche” Prof.ssa Maria Guido
- 2016 Ph.D in Human oncological pathology and stem cell (School of Biomedical Translational science, University of Verona, Italy)
- May-June 2015 Honorary Clinical Fellow at the Institute of Liver Studies, Liver Labs, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London
- 2013 Specialization in Human Pathology (University of Verona, Italy)
- 2007 Medical degree (University of Bologna, Italy)
Active research collaborations with:
- Dr. Giovanni Sitia (Division of Immunology, Transplantation and Infectious Diseases
San Raffaele Hospital) studying IFNAR1 role in liver colorectal metastasis;
- Dr. Alberto Quaglia (King’s College, Institute of Liver studies, Liver Labs, London) investigating hepatobiliary pathology;
- Professor Marco Chilosi (formally Head of the Pathology Unit of Verona) and Professor Claudio Doglioni on pulmonary interstitial diseases.
- Pathologist for AIRC 5X1000 project (PI Professor Chiara Bonini, San Raffaele Scientific Institute)
- Dr. Emanuel Della Torre for IgG4-related disease
Technical skills and competences
- Routine histopathological evaluation, intraoperative diagnosis, autopsy, frozen section with microtome, immunohistochemical staining, fluorescent cell staining, confocal microscopy.
- Consultant to Hepato-biliary Unit
- Lecturer in Anatomical Pathology and Basic Pathology & Immunology for International MD program and Corso di Laurea in Medicina e Chirurgia at Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, supervisor of medical interns on research projects and practical rotations
- Academic Tutor for the Residents in Pathology at San Raffaele Scientific Institute
- Referring pathologist for Cancer of Unknown Primitive in San Raffaele Hospital since October 2018
George Tiniakos Award 2020- Best free-paper presentation in gastrointestinal, liver and pancreatobiliary pathology, presented at the 32nd congress of the ESP and XXXIII international congress of the IAP 6-8 december 2020 – A new marker for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator
- The pathogenic role of epithelial and endothelial cells in early-phase COVID-19 pneumonia: victims and partners in crime. Chilosi M, Poletti V, Ravaglia C, Rossi G, Dubini A, Piciucchi S, Pedica F, Bronte V, Pizzolo G, Martignoni G, Doglioni C. Mod Pathol. 2021 Apr 21:1-12. doi: 10.1038/s41379-021-00808-8. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33883694
- Covid-19 Interstitial Pneumonia: Histological and Immunohistochemical Features on Cryobiopsies. Doglioni C, Ravaglia C, Chilosi M, Rossi G, Dubini A, Pedica F, Piciucchi S, Vizzuso A, Stella F, Maitan S, Agnoletti V, Puglisi S, Poletti G, Sambri V, Pizzolo G, Bronte V, Wells AU, Poletti V. Respiration. 2021 Mar 16:1-11. doi: 10.1159/000514822.
- Mer tyrosine kinase (MerTK) as a possible link between resolution of inflammation and tissue fibrosis in IgG4-related disease. Rovati L, Kaneko N, Pedica F, Monno A, Maehara T, Perugino C, Lanzillotta M, Pecetta S, Stone JH, Doglioni C, Manfredi AA, Pillai S, Della-Torre E. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2021 Jan 29:keab096. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/keab096.
- Heterogeneity of Response and Immune System Activity during Treatment with Nivolumab in Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Results from a Single-Institution Retrospective Analysis. Rapposelli IG, De Matteis S, Lanuti P, Valgiusti M, Bartolini G, Ulivi P, Marisi G, Pedica F, Burgio V, Frassineti GL, Cascinu S, Casadei-Gardini A. Cancers (Basel). 2021 Jan 8;13(2):213.
- IgG4-related autoimmune liver disease. Capurso G, Pedica F, Palumbo D, Della Torre E. Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol. 2020 Dec 3. doi: 10.23736/S1121-421X.20.02794-4.
- Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma development in a patient with a novel BAP1 germline mutation and low exposure to asbestos. Brandi G, Deserti M, Palloni A, Turchetti D, Zuntini R, Pedica F, Frega G, De Lorenzo S, Abbati F, Rizzo A, Di Marco M, Massari F, Tavolari S. Cancer Genet. 2020 Oct;248-249:57-62.
- Peribiliary glands pathology in a large series of end-stage alcohol-related liver disease. Pedica F, Heaton N, Quaglia A. Federica Pedica, Virchows Arch 2020; 477: 817-823.
- Cervix neuroendocrine carcinoma presenting with severe hypokalemia and Cushing's syndrome. Di Filippo L, Vitali G, Taccagni G, Pedica F, Guaschino G, Bosi E, Martinenghi S. Endocrine. 2020 Feb;67(2):318-320. doi: 10.1007/s12020-020-02202-x. Epub 2020 Jan 22. PMID: 31970585
- Common Features Between Neoplastic and Preneoplastic Lesions of the Biliary Tract and the Pancreas. Zaccari P, Cardinale V, Severi C, Pedica F, Carpino G, Gaudio E, Doglioni C, Petrone MC, Alvaro D, Arcidiacono PG, Capurso G. World J Gastroenterol. 2019 Aug 21;25(31):4343-4359.
- Repeated administration of the food additive E171 to mice results in accumulation in intestine and liver and promotes an inflammatory status. Talamini L, Gimondi S, Violatto MB, Fiordaliso F, Pedica F, Tran NL, Sitia G, Aureli F, Raggi A, Nelissen I, Cubadda F, Bigini P, Diomede L. Nanotoxicology. 2019 Jul 4:1-35
- Synchronous Unicentric Castleman Disease and Inflammatory Hepatocellular Adenoma: a Case Report. De Vito C, Papathomas G T, Pedica F, Kane P, Amir A, Heaton N, Quaglia A.
Ann Hepatol. 2019 Jan - Feb;18(1):263-268.
- Quantitative measurement of 18F-FDG PET/CT uptake reflects the expansion of circulating plasmablasts in IgG4-related disease. Berti A, Della-Torre E, Gallivanone F, Canevari C, Milani R, Lanzillotta M, Campochiaro C, Ramirez GA, Bozzalla Cassione E, Bozzolo E, Pedica F, Castiglioni I, Arcidiacono PG, Balzano G, Falconi M, Gianolli L, Dagna L. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017 Dec 1;56(12):2084-2092.
- Epithelial to mesenchymal transition-related proteins ZEB1, β-catenin, and β-tubulin-III in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Chilosi M, Caliò A, Rossi A, Gilioli E, Pedica F, Montagna L, Pedron S, Confalonieri M, Doglioni C, Ziesche R, Grubinger M, Mikulits W, Poletti V. Mod Pathol. 2017 Jan;30(1):26-38.
- Programmed death 1 (PD-1) and its ligand (PD-L1) as a new frontier in cancer Immunotherapy and challenges for the Pathologist: state of the art. Callea M, Pedica F, Doglioni C. Pathologica. 2016 Jun;108(2):48-58.
- Hydroxyapatite/Collagen Composite Is a Reliable Material for Malar Augmentation. D'Agostino A, Trevisiol L, Favero V, Gunson MJ, Pedica F, Nocini PF, Arena GW. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Jun;74(6):1238.e1-1238.e15.
- Intrahepatic bile duct mixed adenoneuroendocrine carcinoma: a case report and review of the literature. Zheng SL, Yip VS, Pedica F, Prachalias A, Quaglia A. Intrahepatic bile duct mixed adenoneuroendocrine carcinoma: a case report and review of the literature. Diagn Pathol. 2015 Nov 20;10:204.
- PDX-1 (pancreatic/duodenal homeobox-1 protein 1). Pedica F, Beccari S, Pedron S, Montagna L, Piccoli P, Doglioni C, Chilosi M. Pathologica. 2014 Dec;106(4):315-21. Review.
- Age influence on mice lung tissue response to Aspergillus fumigatus chronic exposure.
Lemieszek MK, Dutkiewicz J, Golec M, Chilosi M, Skórska C, Huaux F, Pastena C, Pedica F, Sitkowska J, Lisowska W, Cholewa G, Zwoliń ski J, Mackiewicz B, Góra-Florek A, Ziesche R, Milanowski J. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2015;22 (1):69-75.
- Next-generation histopathologic diagnosis: a lesson from a hepatic carcinosarcoma. Luchini C, Capelli P, Fassan M, Simbolo M, Mafficini A, Pedica F, Ruzzenente A, Guglielmi A, Corbo V, Scarpa A. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Jun 10;32(17): e63-6.
- Preliminary results of the influence of the in vivo use of a lymphatic dye (patent blue v) in the surgical treatment of Crohn's disease. Tonelli P, Martellucci J, Lucchese M, Comin CE, Bergamini C, Pedica F, Bargellini T, Valeri A. Surg Innov. 2014 Aug;21(4):381-8.
- A re-emerging marker for prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma: the add-value of fishing c-myc gene for early relapse. Pedica F, Ruzzenente A, Bagante F, Capelli P, Cataldo I, Pedron S, Iacono C, Chilosi M, Scarpa A, Brunelli M,Tomezzoli A, Martignoni G, Guglielmi A. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 10;8(7):e68203.
- Paraoxonase-1 status in patients with hereditary hemochromatosis. Martinelli N, García-Heredia A, Roca H, Aranda N, Arija V, Mackness B, Mackness M, Busti F, Aragonès G, Pedro-Botet J, Pedica F, Cataldo I, Marsillach J, Joven J, Girelli D, Camps J. J Lipid Res. 2013 May;54(5):1484-92.
- Mucinous cystic neoplasms of the liver: a clinicopathological study and comparison with intraductal papillary neoplasms of the bile duct. Zen Y, Pedica F, Patcha VR, Capelli P, Zamboni G, Casaril A, Quaglia A, Nakanuma Y, Heaton N, Portmann B. Mod Pathol. 2011 Aug;24(8):1079-89.
- Clinicopathological features of adenosquamous pancreatic cancer. Regi P, Butturini G, Malleo G, Pedica F, D'Onofrio M, Bassi C. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2011 Feb;396(2):217-22.
- Does intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma have better prognosis compared to perihilar cholangiocarcinoma? Guglielmi A, Ruzzenente A, Campagnaro T, Pachera S, Valdegamberi A, Capelli P, Pedica F, Nicoli P, Conci S, Iacono C. J Surg Oncol. 2010 Feb 1;101(2):111-5.
- Cathepsin-k as a diagnostic marker in the identification of micro-granulomas in Crohn's disease. Pedica F, Pecori S, Vergine M, Brunelli M, Montagna L, Pedron S, Parolini C, Daniele I, Capelli P, Menestrina F, Chilosi M. Pathologica. 2009 Jun;101(3):109-11.
- Endocrine neoplasms of the pancreas: pathologic and genetic features. Capelli P, Martignoni G, Pedica F, Falconi M, Antonello D, Malpeli G, Scarpa A. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Mar;133(3):350-64.
- Lymphangiogenesis in Crohn's disease: an immunohistochemical study using monoclonal antibody D2-40. Pedica F, Ligorio C, Tonelli P, Bartolini S, Baccarini P. Virchows Arch. 2008 Jan;452(1):57-63.
Il titolare del presente curriculum vitae, pubblicato online sul portale www.unisr.it, è garante in via esclusiva della correttezza e della veridicità dei dati e delle informazioni in esso riportate e del loro eventuale e puntuale aggiornamento. Egli è dunque il diretto ed unico responsabile dei contenuti indicati nei propri curricula.