Renzi Cristina Professore AssociatoMedicineMED/42
In her capacity as a Public Health Physician and Epidemiologist for various universities and research institutions, both in Italy and abroad (including University College London and University of Washington, Seattle- USA), Dr Renzi has pursued an interdisciplinary approach to address issues of public health relevance. In particular, her work has focused on cancer epidemiology and early diagnosis, dedicating increasing attention to the complex links between pre-existing chronic conditions and cancer. She has been awarded the prestigious British Medical Association- BMA TP Gunton award for her contribution to research in public health relating to cancer. She is Academic Honorary Consultant in Public Health, Public Health England-NHS Digital and Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health, UK. After graduating in Medicine and completing her specialty training in Public Health at the University of Rome, she obtained an MSc and a PhD in Epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine – LSHTM. She has authored numerous peer reviewed international publications on public health, cancer epidemiology and early diagnosis. Previously, she has conducted research on outcomes research, as well as on the epidemiology of AIDS/HIV and sexually transmitted diseases. Currently, she is responsible for international research projects focusing on the epidemiology and early diagnosis of cancer in collaboration with University College London- UCL, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine – LSHTM, University of Cambridge, University of Exeter, University of Utrecht-NL.
- Benitez Majano S, Lyratzopoulos G, De Wit NJ, Rachet B, Renzi C. Do presenting symptoms, use of pre-diagnostic endoscopy and risk of emergency cancer diagnosis vary by comorbidity in patients with colorectal cancer? BJC 2022 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-021-01603-7.
- Black G & van Os S, Renzi C, Walter F, Hamilton W, Whitaker K. Does safety netting for lung cancer symptoms help patients to reconsult appropriately? A qualitative study. BMC Primary Care 2022. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-022-01808-6.
- White B, Renzi C, Rafiq M, Abel G, Jensen H, Lyratzopoulos G. Does changing healthcare use signal opportunities for earlier detection of cancer? A review of studies using information from electronic patient records. Cancer Epidemiology 2021;102072. doi: 10.1016/j.canep.2021.102072.
- Rafiq M, Abel G, Renzi C, Lyratzopoulos G. Inflammatory marker testing in primary care in the year before Hodgkin lymphoma diagnosis: UK population-based case-control study. BJGP.2021.0617. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3399/BJGP.2021.0617
- Herbert A, Rafiq M, My Pham T, Renzi C, Abel G, Price S, Hamilton W, Petersen I, Lyratzopoulos G. Predictive values for different cancers and inflammatory bowel disease of 6 common abdominal symptoms among more than 1.9 million primary care patients in the UK: A cohort study. PLoS Med 2021;18(8):e1003708.
- Koo MM, Swann R, McPhail S, Abel G, Renzi C, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. Morbidity and measures of the diagnostic process in primary care for patients subsequently diagnosed with cancer. Fam Practice 2021 cmab139, https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmab139.
- Erridge S, Lyratzopoulos G, Renzi C, Millar A, Lee R. Rapid Diagnostic Centres and early cancer diagnosis. British Journal of General Practice 2021; 71 (712): 487-488. DOI: 10.3399/bjgp21X717413 ,
- Jones D, di Martino E, Bradley S, Essang B, Hemphill S, Renzi C, Wright J, de Wit N, Surr C, Clegg A, Neal R. Factors affecting the decision to investigate older adults with cancer symptoms: a systematic review. BJGP 2021 doi:10.3399/BJGP.2021.0257.
- Di Martino E, Smith L, Bradley SH, Hemphill S, Wright J, Renzi C, Bergin R, Emery J, Richard D N. Incidence trends for twelve cancers in younger adults – a rapid review. BJC, in press 2021.
- Coclite D, Napoletano A, Castellini G, Fauci A, Iacorossi L, D’Angelo D, La Torre G, Mastroianni CM, Renzi C, Gianola S, Iannone P. Face Mask Use in the Community for Reducing the Spread of COVID-19: A Systematic Review. Front Med (Lausanne) 2021 Jan 12;7:594269.
- Renzi C, Lyratzopoulos. Comorbidity and the diagnosis of symptomatic-but-as-yet-undiagnosed cancer: morbidity-, cancer site- and symptom-specific effects. Br J General Practice, 2020; 70 (698): e598-e599. doi.org/10.3399/bjgp20X712193.
- Koo MM, Swann R, McPhail S, Abel G, Renzi C, Rubin GP, Lyratzopoulos G. The prevalence of chronic conditions in patients diagnosed with one of 29 common and rarer cancers: a cross-sectional study using primary care data. Cancer Epidemiol 2020 Dec;69:101845.
- Kaushal A, Waller J, von Wagner C, Whitaker K, Puri A, Kummer S, Lyratzopoulos G, Renzi C. The role of comorbidity in anticipated help-seeking and symptom attribution for potential lung cancer symptoms: a vignette-based survey. BJGP Open 2020; 4 (4), doi.org/10.3399/bjgpopen20X101086
- Iannone P, Castellini G, Coclite D, Napoletano A, Fauci A, Iacorossi L, D’Angelo D, Renzi C, La Torre G, Mastroianni CM, Gianola S. The need of a health policy perspective to protect Health Care Workers during COVID-19 pandemic. A GRADE rapid review on the N95 respirators effectiveness. Plos One 2020;15(6):e0234025. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0234025.
- Renzi C, Kaushal A, Emery J, Hamilton W, Neal R, Rachet B, Rubin G, Singh H, Walter FM, de Wit NJ, Lyratzopoulos G. Comorbid chronic diseases and the diagnosis of cancer: A review of disease-specific effects and underlying mechanisms. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2019 Dec; 16(12):746-761.
- Renzi C, Lyratzopoulos G, Hamilton W, Maringe C, Rachet B. Contrasting effects of comorbidities on emergency colon cancer diagnosis: a longitudinal data-linkage study in England. BMC Health Services Research 2019;19(1):311.
- Ghanouni A, Sanderson S, Pashayan N, Renzi C, von Wagner C, Waller J. Attitudes towards risk-stratified breast cancer screening among women in England: a cross-sectional survey. J Med Screen 2019; 8: 969141319883662. doi: 10.1177/0969141319883662.
- Renzi C, Lyratzopoulos G, Hamilton W, Rachet B. Opportunities for reducing emergency diagnoses of colon cancer in women and men: a data-linkage study on pre-diagnostic symptomatic presentations and benign diagnoses. Eur J Cancer Care 2019 Feb 8:e13000. doi: 10.1111/ecc.13000.
- von Wagner C, Cadar D, Hackett R, Demakakos P, Beeken RJ, Cooper Bailley S, Wolf M, Steptoe A, Renzi C, Stoffel S. The role of type 2 diabetes in colorectal cancer screening: Findings from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. J Med Screen 2019;23:969141319874834. doi: 10.1177/0969141319874834.
- Tookey S, Renzi C, Waller J, von Wagner C, Whitaker KL. Using the Candidacy Framework to understand how doctor-patient interactions influence perceived eligibility to seek help for cancer alarm symptoms. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Dec 4;18(1):937.
- Ghanouni A, Renzi C and Waller J. Improving public understanding of 'overdiagnosis' in England: a population survey assessing familiarity with possible terms for labelling the concept and perceptions of appropriate terminology. BMJ Open. 2018 Jun 27;8(6):e021260.
- Foster AS, Renzi C, Lyratzopoulos. Diagnosing cancer in patients who present with potentially serious ‘non-alarm’ symptoms: Learning from diagnostic care innovations in Denmark. Cancer Epidemiology 2018;54:101-103
- Salika T, Abel GA, Mendonca SC, von Wagner C, Renzi C, Herbert A, McPhail S, Lyratzopoulos G. Associations between diagnostic pathways and care experience in colorectal cancer: Evidence from patient- reported data. Frontline Gastroenterology 2018; 9(3):241-248.
- Salika T, Lyratzopoulos G, Whitaker KL, Waller J, Renzi C. Do comorbidities influence help-seeking for cancer alarm symptoms? A population-based survey in England. J Public Health 2018; 1;40(2):340-349.
- Zhou Y, Abel GA, Hamilton W, Pritchard-Jones K, Gross CP, Walter FM, Renzi C, Johnson S, McPhail S, Elliss-Brookes L, Lyratzopoulos G. Defining, measuring and preventing the diagnosis of cancer as an emergency: A critical review of the literature and implications for policy, practice and research. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2017; 14:45-56.
- Ghanouni A, Renzi C, McBride E, Waller J. Comparing perceived clarity of information on overdiagnosis used for breast and prostate cancer screening in England: an experimental survey. BMJ Open 2017; 7(8):e015955. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-015955.
- Ghanouni A, Renzi C, Waller J. A cross-sectional survey assessing factors associated with reading cancer screening information: previous screening behaviour, demographics and decision-making style. BMC Public Health 2017;18;17:327.
- Renzi C, Lyratzopoulos G, Card T, Chu T, Macleod U, Rachet B. Do colorectal cancer patients diagnosed as an emergency differ from non-emergency patients in their consultation patterns and symptoms? A longitudinal data-linkage study in England. Br J Cancer 2016; 115:866-75.
- Renzi C, Whitaker KL, Winstanley K, Cromme S, Wardle J. Unintended consequences of an 'all-clear' diagnosis on help-seeking for recurrent or new potential cancer symptoms. BJGP 2016;66(644): e158-70.
- Ghanouni A, Meisel SF, Hersch J, Wardle J, Waller J, Renzi C. Information on ‘overdiagnosis’ in breast cancer screening on prominent United Kingdom- and Australia-oriented health websites. PLOS ONE 2016;11(3):e0152279.
- Ghanouni A, Renzi C, Meisel SF, Waller J. Common methods of measuring 'informed choice' in screening participation: challenges and future directions. Preventive Medicine Reports 2016;4:601-607.
- Renzi C, Asta F, Fusco D, Agabiti N, Davoli M, Perucci CA. Does public reporting improve the quality of hospital care for acute myocardial infarction? Results from a regional outcome evaluation program in Italy. Int J Qual Health Care 2014;26(3):223-30.
- Renzi C, Sorge C, Fusco D, Agabiti N, Davoli M, Perucci CA. Reporting of quality indicators and improvement in hospital performance: The P.Re.Val.E. Regional Outcome Evaluation Program. Health Services Research 2012;47(5):1880-901.
- Renzi C, Mastroeni S, Manoooranparampil TJ, Passarelli F, Potenza C, Pasquini P. Reliability of self-reported information on skin cancer among elderly patients with squamous cell carcinoma. Ann Epid 2011; 21:551-554.
- Renzi C, Mastroeni S, Passarelli F, Manoooranparampil TJ, Caggiati A, Potenza C, Pasquini P. Factors associated with large cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas. J Am Acad Dermatol 2010; 63:404-411.
- Renzi C, Caggiati A, Mannooranparampil TJ, Passarelli F, Tartaglione G, Pennasilico GM, Cecconi S, Potenza C, Pasquini P. Sentinel lymph node biopsy for high risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: case series and review of the literature. Eur J Surg Oncol 2007; 33: 364-369.
( Sept. 2022)
Il titolare del presente curriculum vitae, pubblicato online sul portale www.unisr.it, è garante in via esclusiva della correttezza e della veridicità dei dati e delle informazioni in esso riportate e del loro eventuale e puntuale aggiornamento. Egli è dunque il diretto ed unico responsabile dei contenuti indicati nei propri curricula.