Veronesi Giulia Professore AssociatoMedicineMED/21
Biographical notes and training
She was born on August 8th 1969 in Milan
Degree in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Milan in 1994. Specialties in Thoracic Surgery in 2006 University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Specialist in Surgery of the digestive system and surgical digestive endoscopy in 2000 University of Milan. Master in Management Training for managers of a complex hospital area structure. SDS School of Management in Healthcare, Eupolislombardia, 2012.
Professional training at the following institutes: Mount Sinai School of Medicine - New York, NY; Institute Mutualiste Montsouris IMM - Paris, Cornell University. New York, San Giuseppe Hospital, Milan, Maggiore Policlinico Hospital (IRCCS) of Milan, European Institute of Oncology (IRCCS) Milan, Humanitas Clinical Institute (IRCCS).
Associate Professor of Thoracic Surgery - Scientific Disciplinary Sector MED / 21, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan.
Director of Robotic Thoracic Surgery Program at San Raffaele Hospital in Milan.
Head of Robotic Thoracic Surgery Unit, Humanitas Clinical Institute (IRCCS) –Rozzano (MI) from 2015 to 2019.
Director of Lung Cancer Screening Unit at the Thoracic Surgery Division, European Institute of Oncology (IRCCS) since 2004 – 2009.
Professional memberships (medical and scientific societies)
Member of: European Society of Thoracic Surgery, Founding Member of Clinical Robotic Surgeon Association, International Association Study of Lung Cancer, IASLC Strategic Screening Advisory Committee (SSAC), Italian Society of Thoracic Surgery, European Society of Medical Oncology, ESMO Guidelines Working Group On Early Stage And Locally Advanced Lung Cancer, European Thoracic Oncology Platform (ETOP), Italian Company Women and Technology. Founder of the ESTS Robotic Working Group. Member of the ISMICS 2018 program committee, ESTS from 2013 to 2020, IASLC from 2014 to 2017.
Member of Editorial Committees
Lung Cancer, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Ecancermedicalscience, Frontiers in Oncology, Journal of Thoracic Disease, Journal of Visualized Surgery.
Professor of the IEO School of Robotic Surgery and scientific manager of the annual courses of robotic thoracic surgery at IEO from 2009 to 2015.
Scientific coordinator of the course on lung cancer screening at IEO 2013. She was the coordinator of the thoracic session at the annual international meeting of the CRSA from 2011 to 2017.
Robotic thoracic surgery proctor at hospitals in: Geneva, Aosta, Cuneo, Pesaro, Rome, Barcelona, Pamplona, Pescara, Catania.
Professor of Thoracic Surgery and Esophageal Surgery in various courses of the University of Milan at the school of specialty in Thoracic Surgery, in General Surgery and for radiology technicians and nurses from 2006 to 2008.
Lecturer at Universita Humanitas 2016-2020 course of Laura in medicine and surgery and specialization school of General Surgery.
Lecturer at the University of Modena Pneumology Specialty School in 2019
Tutor at the Humanitas Clinical Institute and co-supervisor of the Specialty thesis at the School of Thoracic Surgery in Parma (Dr. Solinas)
Tutor at Humanitas for the Thoracic Surgery Specialty School, University of Tor Vergata, Rome.
-Programma CCM 2019: Pilot project of a lung cancer screening program integrated with smoking cessation: pathways, subject selection and diagnostic protocols, in view of an HTA assessment. Amount € 400.000,00, duration 24 months. Role: Co-Investigator
-Inail Grant Support, 2019: Development of an artificial intelligence model in lung cancer screening for the diagnosis of lung nodules and risk stratification in subjects with occupational exposure and / or smoking. Amount 252.000,00 euro, duration 24 months. Role Co-Pi.
-Finalizzata Ministeriale 2016: Optimised lung cancer screening to prevent cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases coupled with primary prevention. Amount euro 405.000,00, duration 36 months. Role: Principal Investigator.
-AIRC 2017: Circulating and imaging biomarkers to improve lung cancer management and early detection. Amount euro 765.000,00 duration 5 years. Role: Principal Investigator
-ERA-NET: Aligning national/regional translational cancer research programmes and activities - TRANSCAN-2- Joint Transnational Call 2016 (JTC 2016) - Validation of multiparametric models and Circulating and imaging biomarkers to improve Lung cancer EARLY detection." - Acronym: “CLEARLY” - Amount (€) 1.630.749,00 . Project duration 36 months. Role: Principal Investigator
-Inail Grant Support, 2016/2018 - Development of a surveillance protocol for early detection of lung cancer with LDTC for subjects exposed to asbestos. Amoount (€) 120.000,00. Start 30 June 2017, for 2 years. Role: Principal Investigator
- LILT (Italian League for the fight against cancer) (LILT 2015 Dec) Pilot study on the role of circulating tumor cells (CTC) in early detection of lung cancer. Role Principal Investigator . Amount (€)72.000,00. Started Nov 2016, duration 2 years. Role: Principal Investigator
-Inail Grant support, 2013-2014 Prevention and surveillance of thoracic diseases in Asbestos Exposed workers. Euro 140.000,00 Role: Principal Investigator
- NCI DCP Protocol Number: MDA2013-01-01 Randomized Phase II Trial of Low dose Aspirin versus Placebo in High-Risk Individuals with CT Screen Detected Subsolid Lung Nodules. Role: Principal Invetsgator
- AIRC, 2012-2014, Lung Cancer Early Detection with Low Dose CT scan and Molecular Markers. Dr. Giulia Veronesi, Role: Principal Investigator
- NCI DCP Protocol Number: MDA05-5-03; PI: G. Veronesi 30/9/2011-29/9/2012 Evolution of Underterminated CT- detected lung nodules, among a randomized phase II trial with inhaled Budesonide. Dr. Giulia Veronesi, Role: Principal Investigator
- MinRO strategici 5/07; Ministry of Health; PI: F. Podo 10/03/2008-09/03/2012 Analytical and clinical validation of functional imaging for early non-invasive cancer diagnosis.Role: Coinvestigator
- RF 2007 n51; Ministry of Health; PI: PG. Pelicci 01/02/2009-31/01/2011 Identification and isolation of normal and tumoral lung stem cells as a tool for the definition of new therapeutic strategies in lung cancer Role: Coinvestigator
- NCI DCP Protocol Number: MDA05-5-01; 2006-2008, Randomized phase II trial of Budesonide Turbuhaler 800 micrograms/twice daily versus placebo in high-risk population with undetermined lung nodules detected at screening low dose CT scan. Dr. Giulia Veronesi, Role: Principal Investigator.
- Principal Investigator of the international study "Prospective, randomized, multicenter study on a videothoracoscopic approach (tanks) vs robots for lobectomy or anatomical segmentectomy in patients with early lung cancer". (Active)
- Former principal investigator in the Italian multicenter study for lung cancer screening with low-dose CT and molecular markers: Cosmos 2 study (active)
- Co-PI in "Phase III randomized limited resection study against standard lobectomy for early stage lung cancer". (Closed)
- Co-investigator in "Identification and isolation of normal and tumor lung stem cells as a tool for defining new treatments". (Closed)
- Co-investigator in "Analytical and clinical validation of functional imaging for the early study of the diagnosis of non-invasive cancer". (Closed)
Co Pi: Benefits of the tobacco-free cigarette among heavy smokers undergoing a lung cancer screening program: a randomized (closed) control study.
Clinical care activity
Specialized in the surgical treatment of oncological pathologies of the chest. Since 2007 she focused clinical and research activity on minimally invasive robotic approach for the treatment of initial or locally advanced lung cancer, for the treatment of mediastinal tumors, for myasthenia, for esophagus tumors and lung metastases.
She performs outpatient activities for the evaluation of the clinical profile of surgical and pre-surgical cancer patients and clinical assistance during the perioperative course, active participation in the multidisciplinary thoracic oncology group, participation and decision-making responsibility in the multidisciplinary group on lung cancer screening. Management and update of the lung cancer PDTA.
N° lavori fonte Scopus 05/02/2020
H index Totale fonte Scopus 05/02/2020
N citazioni fonte Scopus 05/02/2020
- Veronesi G, Dorn P, Dunning J, Cardillo G, Schmid RA, Collins J, Baste JM, Limmer S, Shahin GMM, Egberts JH, Pardolesi A, Meacci E, Stamenkovic S, Casali G, Rueckert JC, Taurchini M, Santelmo N, Melfi F, Toker A. Outcomes from the Delphi process of the Thoracic Robotic Curriculum Development Committee.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2018 Jun 1;53(6):1173-1179. doi: 10.1093/ejcts/ezx466.
- Pardolesi A, Bertolaccini L, Brandolini J, Gallina FT, Novellis P, Veronesi G, Solli P. Four arms robotic-assisted pulmonary resection-right lower/middle lobectomy: how to do it. J Thorac Dis. 2018 Jan;10(1):476-481. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2017.12.36. PMID: 29600082
- Novellis P, Bottoni E, Voulaz E, Cariboni U, Testori A, Bertolaccini L, Giordano L, Dieci E, Granato L, Vanni E, Montorsi M, Alloisio M, Veronesi G. Robotic surgery, video-assisted thoracic surgery, and open surgery for early stage lung cancer: comparison of costs and outcomes at a single institute. J Thorac Dis. 2018 Feb;10(2):790-798. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2018.01.123.
- Masiero M, Lucchiari C, Mazzocco K, Veronesi G, Maisonneuve P, Jemos C, Salè EO, Spina S, Bertolotti R, Pravettoni G. E-cigarettes May Support Smokers With High Smoking-Related Risk Awareness to Stop Smoking in the Short Run: Preliminary Results by Randomized Controlled Trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2018 Apr 11. doi: 10.1093/ntr/nty047.
- Veronesi G, Park B, Cerfolio R, Dylewski M, Toker A, Fontaine JP, Hanna WC, Morenghi E, Novellis P, Velez-Cubian FO, Amaral MH, Dieci E, Alloisio M, Toloza EM. Robotic resection of Stage III lung cancer: an international retrospective study.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2018 Apr 30. doi: 10.1093/ejcts/ezy166.
- Veronesi G, Bonovas S. Similar results of robotic and uniportal videothoracoscopic surgery for lung cancer treatment. J Thorac Dis. 2018 Apr;10(Suppl 9):S1064-S1066. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2018.03.88.
- Pardolesi A, Bertolaccini L, Brandolini J, Solli P, Novellis P, Veronesi G. Four arms robotic-assisted pulmonary resection-left upper lobectomy: how to do it. J Vis Surg. 2018 May 22;4:109. doi: 10.21037/jovs.2018.05.04. eCollection 2018.
- Varlotto JM, Veronesi G. Editorial: Controversies in the Local Management of Lung Cancer. Front Oncol. 2018 Jun 18;8:233. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2018.00233. eCollection 2018. PMID: 29967762
- Veronesi G, Zulueta JJ, Maisonneuve P, Henschke C. At last we can go ahead with low-dose CT screening for lung cancer in Europe. Lung Cancer. 2018 Sep;123:176-177. doi: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2018.07.010. Epub 2018 Jul 10. PMID: 30017427
- Brummelman J, Mazza EMC, Alvisi G, Colombo FS, Grilli A, Mikulak J, Mavilio D, Alloisio M, Ferrari F, Lopci E, Novellis P, Veronesi G, Lugli E. High-dimensional single cell analysis identifies stem-like cytotoxic CD8+ T cells infiltrating human tumors. J Exp Med. 2018 Oct 1;215(10):2520-2535. doi: 10.1084/jem.20180684.PMID: 30154266.
- Voulaz E, Veronesi G, Infante M, Cariboni U, Testori A, Novellis P, Bottoni E, Passera E, Morenghi E, Alloisio M. Radical thymectomy versus conservative thymomectomy in the surgical treatment of thymic malignancies. J Thorac Dis. 2018 Jul;10(7):4127-4136. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2018.06.04. PMID: 30174857
- Solinas M, Novellis P, Bottoni E, Errico V, Voulaz E, Alloisio M, Veronesi G. Robotic approach in case of thymoma involving the left anonymous vein: a case report. AME Case Rep. 2017 Sep 28;1:3. doi: 10.21037/acr.2017.09.02. eCollection 2017. PMID: 30263990.
- Pelosi G, Cannone M, Balladore E, Rahal D, Bossi P, Novellis P, Bottoni E, Toschi L, Roncalli M, French CA, Veronesi G. Spindle Cell Nuclear in Testis Carcinoma of the Lung: A Challenging Tumor. J Thorac Oncol. 2019 Feb;14(2):311-313. doi: 10.1016/j.jtho.2018.11.010. Epub 2018 Nov 23. PMID: 30476575
- Lococo F, Cardillo G, Veronesi G. Smoking cessation and lung cancer screening: new perspectives from the SCALE project. J Thorac Dis. 2018 Nov;10(Suppl 33):S3999-S4001. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2018.09.122. No abstract available. PMID: 30631538
- Osarogiagbon RU, Veronesi G, Fang W, Ekman S, Suda K, Aerts JG, Donington J. Early Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Advances in Thoracic Oncology 2018. J Thorac Oncol. 2019 Mar 6. pii: S1556-0864(19)30199-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jtho.2019.02.029. PMID: 30851441
- Masiero M, Lucchiari C, Mazzocco K, Veronesi G, Maisonneuve P, Jemos C, Salè EO, Spina S, Bertolotti R, Pravettoni G. E-cigarettes May Support Smokers With High Smoking-Related Risk Awareness to Stop Smoking in the Short Run: Preliminary Results by Randomized Controlled Trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2019 Jan 1;21(1):119-126. doi: 10.1093/ntr/nty047. PMID: 29660034
- Maisonneuve P, Rampinelli C, Bertolotti R, Misotti A, Lococo F, Casiraghi M, Spaggiari L, Bellomi M, Novellis P, Solinas M, Dieci E, Alloisio M, Fontana L, Persechino B, Iavicoli S, Veronesi G. Low-dose computed tomography screening for lung cancer in people with workplace exposure to asbestos. Lung Cancer. 2019;131:23-30. doi: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2019.03.003. PMID: 31027694
- Novellis P, Jadoon M, Cariboni U, Bottoni E, Pardolesi A, Veronesi G. Management of robotic bleeding complications. Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2019;8:292-295. doi: 10.21037/acs.2019.02.03.
- Kunz M, Jeromin J, Fuchs M, Christoph J, Veronesi G, Flentje M, Nietzer S, Dandekar G, Dandekar T. In silico signaling modeling to understand cancer pathways and treatment responses. Brief Bioinform. 2019 Apr 15. pii: bbz033. doi: 10.1093/bib/bbz033. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 31117120 DOI: 10.1093/bib/bbz033
- Cao C, Cerfolio RJ, Louie BE, Melfi F, Veronesi G, Razzak R, Romano G, Novellis P, Shah S, Ranganath N, Park BJ. Incidence, Management, and Outcomes of Intraoperative Catastrophes During Robotic Pulmonary Resection. Ann Thorac Surg. 2019;108(5):1498-1504. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2019.05.020.
- Cao C, Louie BE, Melfi F, Veronesi G, Razzak R, Romano G, Novellis P, Ranganath NK, Park BJ. Impact of pulmonary function on pulmonary complications after robotic-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2020 Feb 1;57(2):338-342. doi: 10.1093/ejcts/ezz205.
- Masiero M, Lucchiari C, Maisonneuve P, Pravettoni G, Veronesi G, Mazzocco K. The Attentional Bias in Current and Former Smokers. Front Behav Neurosci. 2019;13:154. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2019.00154. eCollection 2019.
- Maisonneuve P, Iavicoli S, Veronesi G. Response to comment on: "Low-dose computed tomography screening for lung cancer in people with workplace exposure to asbestos". Lung Cancer. 2019 Oct;136:151-152. doi: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2019.07.032.
- Novellis P, Veronesi G, Raffeeq Z, Alloisio M. Thymoma surgery: extreme surgical indications. J Thorac Dis. 2019;11(7):2695-2699. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2019.06.63.
- Grizzi F, Castello A, Qehajaj D, Toschi L, Rossi S, Pistillo D, Paleari V, Veronesi G, Novellis P, Monterisi S, Mineri R, Rahal D, Lopci E. Independent expression of circulating and tissue levels of PD-L1: correlation of clusters with tumor metabolism and outcome in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2019;68(9):1537-1545. doi: 10.1007/s00262-019-02387-9.
- Lopci E, Novellis P, Testori A, Rahal D, Voulaz E, Bottoni E, Ferraroli GM, Crepaldi A, Ceresoli GL, Perrino M, Castello A, Alloisio M, Veronesi G, Zucali PA. In-vivo imaging of methionine metabolism in patients with suspected malignant pleural mesothelioma. Nucl Med Commun. 2019;40(11):1179-1186. doi: 10.1097/MNM.0000000000001078.
- Lococo F, Torricelli F, Lang-Lazdunski L, Veronesi G, Rena O, Paci M, Casadio C, Piana S, Novellis P, Di Stefano TS, Ciarrocchi A, Billè A. Survival results in biphasic malignant pleural mesothelioma patients: A multicentric analysis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019. pii: S0022-5223(19)31751-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2019.08.027.
- Vey J, Kapsner LA, Fuchs M, Unberath P, Veronesi G, Kunz M. A Toolbox for Functional Analysis and the Systematic Identification of Diagnostic and Prognostic Gene Expression Signatures Combining Meta-Analysis and Machine Learning. Cancers (Basel). 2019;11(10). pii: E1606. doi: 10.3390/cancers11101606.
- Cao C, Louie BE, Melfi F, Veronesi G, Razzak R, Romano G, Novellis P, Ranganath NK, Park BJ. Outcomes of major complications after robotic anatomic pulmonary resection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019. pii: S0022-5223(19)31809-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2019.08.057.
- Veronesi G, Novellis P, Voulaz E, Bruschini P. Robotic assisted lung resection for locally advanced lung cancer. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2020;14(2):121-124. doi: 10.1080/17476348.2020.1697235.
- Lucchiari C, Masiero M, Mazzocco K, Veronesi G, Maisonneuve P, Jemos C, Omodeo Salè E, Spina S, Bertolotti R, Pravettoni G. Benefits of e-cigarettes in smoking reduction and in pulmonary health among chronic smokers undergoing a lung cancer screening program at 6 months. Addict Behav. 2020 Apr;103:106222. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2019.106222.
- Veronesi G, Bruschini P, Novellis P. Robotic surgery can extend surgical indication in patients with lung cancer and impaired function. J Thorac Dis. 2019;11(11):E224-E228. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2019.10.14.
- Monterisi S, Castello A, Toschi L, Federico D, Rossi S, Veronesi G, Lopci E. Preliminary data on circulating tumor cells in metastatic NSCLC patients candidate to immunotherapy. Am J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2019;9(6):282-295. eCollection 2019.
- Alvisi G, Brummelman J, Puccio S, Mazza E M.C , Paoluzzi Tomada E, Losurdo A, Zanon V, Peano C, Colombo F S, Scarpa A, Alloisio M, Vasanthakumar A, Roychoudhuri R, Pagani M, Lopci E, Novellis P, Blume J, Kallies A, Veronesi G, Lugli E. IRF4 instructs effector Treg differentiation and immune suppression in human cancer. In press JCI
Il titolare del presente curriculum vitae, pubblicato online sul portale www.unisr.it, è garante in via esclusiva della correttezza e della veridicità dei dati e delle informazioni in esso riportate e del loro eventuale e puntuale aggiornamento. Egli è dunque il diretto ed unico responsabile dei contenuti indicati nei propri curricula.