International Students

International Students

Useful Information

Medical assistance

International students must bring an EHIC (European Health Insurance Form) form with them in order to qualify for the services provided by the Italian Health Service. The EHIC card must be requested to the home country’s health service before the departure. This card will entitle students to free medical assistance, i.e. day hospital care, hospital treatment and prescriptions.

Accident insurance (compulsory)

International students are recommended to be supplied with insurance coverage against accidents during their whole stay. The policy should also cover any accidents that may occur during education activities.

Insurance cover may be provided by the Sending Institution or taken out with a private insurance company.

In both cases, they should produce evidence of this insurance when enrolling at the International Relations Office. Otherwise you will be asked to get insurance through our University, by paying approximately € 10.33 to the University Administrative Office.


We also suggest you the AgenziaUNI which provides information and assistance to university students helping them get in touch with homeowners.

Students who are interested in staying at the Vita-Salute University Residences can contact the Welcome Service (

Please note that for any negotiation the Tax Code (Codice Fiscale) will be required. Students can get it before their arrival submitting their request to Embassy/Consulate of Italy in their own Country (, or at their arrival going to the National Agency in charge: the Agenzia delle Entrate.

Italian Language Lessons

UniSR offers an Italian Language course for all foreign students enrolled to its degree programs. Students are divided into classes according to their level and learn basic Italian which they will need for their daily life in Milan and in the University!

Mobile Phone numbers

In order to activate a SIM (mobile phone Card), you will be asked an Identity card, your Italian Codice Fiscale and your permit to stay.
You can then choose between many providers and many kinds of contracts and payment terms.

All providers offer monthly or long term contracts and prepaid cards to be recharged at a Bancomat (atm machine), on line or at a Tobacconist’s and in some supermarkets.

Emergency numbers

Milan is a safe city but you should always take care when walking in certain areas at dark.

We advise you not to walk around with all your money and documents at the same time and keep a watch for pick pockets on public transport.

Should you ever be in any kind of emergency and are in need of police, ambulance or firemen, dial 112 ! 

National Holidays

Here are Italy’s National Holidays when University offices are closed  and no lessons are held.

  • New Year’s day: 1st January
  • Epiphany: 6th January
  • Easter Monday: Monday after Easter
  • Liberation Day: 25th April
  • Labour Day: 1st May
  • Anniversary of the Founding of the Republic: 2nd June
  • Assumption (Ferragosto): 15th August
  • All Saints’ Day: 1st November
  • Feast of the Immaculate Conception: 8th December
  • Christmas: 25th December
  • St. Stephen’s Day (Boxing Day): 26th December
  • St. Ambrogio (Patron of Milan):7th December

Once you have enrolled you will receive a calender and timetable where you will find all these holidays and breaks you have during the year.

Where to Worship

Being a multicultural city, in Milan you will easily find where to go for Worshipping.
Here a just a  few indications to facilitate your research.

Link Utili