La Facoltà - Filosofia
The Faculty of Philosophy at San Raffaele University belongs to one of the most important Research Centres in Europe, having the body, the mind and the human person as a threefold focus of its three Faculties (Medicine, Psychology, Philosophy).
All teaching and research activities of our Faculty share:
• a rejection of any rigid divide between Humanities and Exact/Experimental Sciences;
• an acknowledgement of the crucial role that philosophy is currently being called on to play, namely to shed light on the relationship between the world of everyday life and those worlds discovered and investigated in recent centuries by the natural sciences, especially by the cognitive sciences;
• a deep concern for a demand, coming from contemporary society, of enhancement in critical and practical awareness of some crucial issues in modern, pluralistic and technological democracies.
The undergraduate and graduate courses cover all main areas of philosophical studies:
• Foundations of thought and of reality (Logics, Phenomenology, Metaphysics, Theology)
• Science, the human mind, language, person and society (Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Sciences, Philosophy of Personhood, Social Ontology)
• The Right and the Good, individual and public (Moral and Political Philosophy)
• Ideas, Cultures, Civilisations and their history (History of philosophy, Hermeneutics, History of Ideas, with a specific interest in the history of Italian Philosophy
The research activity of the faculty is developed within the following research centres, which promote and follow the research interests of advanced and D.Phil students, organizing workshops, seminars, conferences (see our current activities calendar)
Credits can be acquired not only following the ordinary courses, but also attending some of the research activities (D.Phil Seminars and Schools, Invited Papers, Conferences etc.)